Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 4, Sunday, May 22, San Juan, PR, Casual

I received a comment today on my blog:

"I've always enjoyed following you on the Cunard forum of Cruise Critic
and I'm enjoying this blog. I'd be interested in what you think of RCI.
The one time we sailed on Royal Caribbean there were so many
announcements during the day interrupting anything we were doing that we
decided not to take them again until they limited it to the one noon day
talk by the Captain. Has that aspect improved?"

I think there are typically about 3 announcements per day,
mid-morning(10:30), noonish (perhaps 15 minutes before or after the
Captain's update), and mid-afternoon. That doesn't really strike me as
excessive but I do find it a minor annoyance that really wouldn't affect
my future booking of RCI. What I do miss more is the lack of an
equivalent to the Cunard Insights/Crystal Visions programs, although
I've been able to compensate for that by catching up on my reading.

While we have a port call in San Juan, PR, today, it is so late (3PM)
that it feels much like a sea day. I did only walk 3 miles on deck 10
due to the opportunities for further walking in San Juan. The wind was
still quite strong and making my way forward was becoming a bit tedious
in the last few laps. I did look at deck 5 but it was roped off in the
early morning hours, possibly due to early morning crew drills today.

There was an interdenominational worship service at 9 in the Spotlight
lounge, something I hadn't expected. It was led by a couple of volunteer
passengers (this is the 5th cruise where they've done it). I get a bit
concerned when volunteers handle this kind of event because it can
become a forum to promote one's personal philosophy. The leaders handled
their part well but devoted a large part of the service to "sharing",
which included a number of people promoting their personal theology
beyond what I thought an interdenominational event suggested.

At his noon update Captain Gus told us we were 40 miles from San Juan.
His words of wisdom were "If you speak in anger, it will be the greatest
speech you ever regret". After lunch I spent much of my time making
reservations. I frankly don't see RCI as a major part of my cruising
future but there will be times when it will be part of the picture. A
group of Maryland cruisers is working on a winter break in January and I
stopped by and made a booking. I am not certain that it will happen as I
have an Asia cruise in February which will take my passport out of
service for some time for visa processing (Vietnam, China) but I think I
can work it out. I also have a reservation for Chops Monday evening.

We had been told to be out on deck for a spectacular arrival into San
Juan. As it turns out, the weather didn't cooperate and it was steamy
almost to the point of fog and some rain. I retreated to the Viking
Crown Lounge and my pictures don't do the place justice but the arrival
was still beautiful. Captain Gus got us here a bit early and we were
cleared to go ashore about 15 minutes before our published 3PM arrival.

San is one of the 3 ports on this cruise that is new to me. It's western
discovery was on Columbus' 2nd voyage in 1493 and for most of it's
history has been Spanish territory. I spent my time exploring old town
on foot with it's narrow streets and quait buildings going as far as the
San Felipe El Morrow Castle. This imposing fort guards the San Juan
harbor and is matched by a smaller fort on the opposite side of the
harbor placing invading vessels in a crossfire. The fort stands high
above the harbor and offers excellent views. I also did a bit of
shopping before returning to the ship.

The My Fair Lady dining room was quiet tonight as a lot of people were
in San Juan but I enjoyed the raspberry and pineapple soup, Vitality
turkey and Key lime pie, then a short walk in town.

This evening's show was Joey Van. He is a singer who does vocal
impressions of other artists and the ease with which he moves from the
styles of Michael Jackson to Sinatra to Tom Jones and others is amazing
and often hilarious.

For today's parting shot I found myself annoyed at the hot steamy
weather here is San Juan. It is almost summer far South of Florida. What
was I thinking. We want everything to be perfect but we live in the real
world. I am just getting to San Juan for the first time after 60+ years
and seeing things I've never seen before. A little heat and humidity is
a small price to pay.

Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment