Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 5, Monday, May 23, St. Thomas, USVI, Casual

When I arrived on Deck 10 about 5:30 the western tip of St. Thomas was
visible in the distance. I walked about 2 miles, but it was strictly 1
lap at a time, pausing at the bow each time to take in a new view. There
were clouds on the horizon but still a very nice sunrise through them.
We picked up our pilot about 6:30 for our final entrance while deckhands
on the bow were setting up a maze of mooring lines. We pulled up to the
pier about 7 and were cleared by customs 15 minutes later, docked at the
front end of the pier with a Carnival ship behind us.

I had booked a tour, "Volunteering at Virgin Islands National Park" but
recieved word Sunday evening that the tour had been cancelled. This is
the one port I have previously visited, on the Crystal Symphony in 2002
and the Grande Caribe in 2008. I must say I prefer St. Thomas in
December to March rather than late May but that was when I was available
to make this trip. I had a leisurely breakfast on the ship and left for
a walk about 9:30 spending a little time in Charlotte Amalie and riding
the tram to Paradise Point. I was unsuccessful in shopping or finding
internet better than what the ship offered. The walk to the center of
town is about a mile and a half and runs uncomfortably close to the busy
street. The downtown area is very commercial but still quaint and
pleasant. For my return I used a shortcut which followed the water and
led to a shopping center but it was easy to get out to the street and
the tramway. The ride up the tram was about 5 minutes each way and led
to a short pathway and spectacular views, but was not quite at the
summit (it would have been nice to have views over to St. John). I
returned to the ship about 2 for lunch and remained onboard. One of the
oddities of life in St. Thomas is that people drive on the left hand
side of the road but all the vehicles are left hand drive. I think it's
the only place I've seen that system used (I must admit, I don't
remember any 2-way streets in San Juan, so it could be the same).

All aboard today was 4:30 for a 5PM departure. The Carnival Glory behind
us was on the same schedule but did not pull up the gangway until a few
minutes past 5, apparently due to some no show passengers), and we could
not leave until they did. I would not want to be one of those who missed
the Glory, their next port is Barbados.

Dinner in Chops was excellent. I had the Petite Fillet Mignon with roast
potatoes and green beans, followed up by Passionberry Duo.

The evening show was the action comedy of Rick Novell. Novell was mostly
a juggler, working from a freestanding ladder and unicycle and using a
lot of humor and audience participation, quite a unique experience.

Today's parting shot comes from tonight's show. Seating is at a premium
in the Orpheum Theater and saving of seats is quite strongly
discouraged/prohibited. I arrived early and was at the end of a row of 5
seats. A lady came in and asked if the seats are saved I said no and the
response was "save these for me". I sure wish I had 20-20 ESP and knew
what was coming so I could tell her "yes, they are, you can't have
these". Go figure.

Roy

No comments:

Post a Comment